This Simple and Easy Caprese salad recipe is an Italian origin. It gets to your dinner table in just a few minutes.
Caprese salad also known as Insalata Caprese is a simple Italian dish that requires simple ingredients such as basil leaves, mozzarella and juicy tomatoes.
This is a perfect summer salad when tomatoes are in season.
This is the best salad you can make for those summer parties. Why not treat yourself with this Italian salad and experience Italian restaurant right in your kitchen with this easy recipe.
There are so many ways you can enjoy this salad. My favorite is stuffing it in grilled chicken breast.
Most people prefer having it with toasted bread, but its highly versatile.
Another name for this delish is “Insalata” Caprese, which originated from the island of Capri. A true Italian classic with all colors of their flag in this Insalata salad.
Although a classic Italian caprese does not use balsamic vinegar in any way, I would say the balsamic glaze more than deserves its place in this salad. Balsamic vinegar becomes deliciously tangy and smooth when boiled down to a deep glaze of sugary syrup. A thick glaze can be drizzled with precision, while vinegar directly from the bottle can pool around the tomatoes and leave them soggy.
Table of Contents
What to serve with this Simple and Easy Caprese Salad.
I enjoy this salad as a side, you can try it with:
- Grilled chicken
- Grilled Chicken Leg Quarters
Simple and Easy Caprese Salad ingredients
- Mozzarella Cheese. Get a high-quality mozzarella cheese for best results.
- Fresh Tomatoes. Juicy ripe tomatoes are the best for this recipe. That’s why I make it when tomatoes are in peak season.
- Balsamic vinegar. Reduce balsamic vinegar leaves this salad with a sweet tangy taste, just the perfect balance.
- Fresh Basil. Get the freshest basil you can find to give you that aroma and bright green color.
Video on how to make Caprese Salad
Watch the quick recipe video below to see how easy it is to make this simple and easy caprese salad.
How to make Caprese salad
- Arrange tomato slices and basil leaves at the center of the plate overlapping slightly and alternate with cherry tomatoes and mozzarella cheese slices layered between the tomato slices .
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Make the dressing by mixing the dressing ingredients and drizzle it over the caprese.
- 3 Ripe Tomatoes. Red and Yellow tomatoes sliced
- 1 Bunch Basil
- 1 Roll Mozzarella. Dry mozzarella sliced
- 2 Tablespoon Olive oil. Extra virgin
- 1/2 Cup Balsamic sauce
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- Arrange tomatoes on a salad plate alternating between red and yellow. Put mozzarella slices between the tomato slices and tuck in basil leaves.
- Drizzle olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix balsamic sauce with honey and drizzle over the salad.
Balsamic sauce and honey are absolutely optional. You can enjoy the salad with extra virgin olive oil as Italians do.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 146Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 11mgSodium 280mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 5g
FAQ and Tips about the Caprese salad recipe.
- Balsamic sauce is hard to find, you can checkout recipes on how to make balsamic glaze by reducing balsamic vinegar.
More similar goodies
Shop recipe products
If you liked this recipe please do share and leave a comment down below. We would love to hear how you made it even tastier!