Wondering which is the best way to cut peppers? Here’s a complete step by step guide and a video that will show you how to cut bell peppers.
The most exciting thing about Bell peppers is that they are such as delicious raw or cooked.
To identify a perfect bell pepper, it must be smooth and firm on the outside. Avoid bell peppers with dark spots
Before we get to it. Did you know that Red bell peppers pack the most nutrition, because they’ve been on the vine longest? Green peppers are harvested earlier before they have a chance to turn yellow, orange, and then red. Compared to green bell peppers, the red ones have more vitamin C?
Noticed how green bell peppers are always the cheapest? The only reason behind that is because they pack the least nutrients
Great knife skills are crucial for becoming a better cook. This is a skill you will use every day with just about everything you cook.
Table of Contents
How to store Bell Peppers
Bell peppers really like to be cold. Its best to put them in the fridge immediately after you bring them home.
Keep them in a plastic bag, probably the bag you purchased them in. Just make sure the bag has cut holes or is open. They love humidity. Simple as that your Bell peppers will last up to 2 to 3 weeks.
Here’s what you can make with bell pepper strips and dices.
- How to Properly Cut Bell Peppers
- Vegetable Stir Fry
What you’ll need
- Bell Peppers: Any color from red, yellow or green.
- Cutting board
So first things first you will need a cutting board, there are a lot of variations out there to choose from. Plastic and glass are the least recommended. I prefer a wooden cutting board. A wooden cutting board may last you for years if taken care of.
Glass is very slippery and may result in injury. On the other hand, plastic produce too much noise during the chopping motions.
- Large Chef’s Knife 7”-10” blade
A good Chef’s Knife comes first in the top 3 knives that are essential to have in your kitchen. It has good weight with smooth blades that are suitable to cut cut almost anything.
Our video on how to properly cut bell peppers.
Watch this how to video below to see how easy it is to cut bell peppers.
Step by step process on how to dice and slice tomatoes
Bell Pepper Strips
These are good for salads and stir fry.
- Using large chef’s knife cut the stalk off.
2. Place the pepper facing down and start from the top slicing all the way around the seeds.
3. Flatten the pepper you cut, skin side facing the board and start slicing into strips.
Diced Bell Pepper
- Follow the above steps.
2. If you want dices. Turn the strip and cut them crosswise to get the dices.
- 2 Large Bell peppers. Green, Red or yellow will do.
- Hold the bell pepper sideways and trim the top.
- Turn it and hold it upright and start cutting around.
- Straighten the pepper cuts and place them on the board skin side facing the board.
- Using your non-cutting hand hold the pepper down and start slicing into stripes.
- Follow steps 1 to 4 above.
- Uniform the peppers into a bunch and turn them around.
- Nice and steadily dice perpendicular to the stripes.
When cutting the pepper avoid cutting too deep into the seeds, that's what turns it bitter.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 32Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 2mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 1g
Nutrient values are estimates only. Variations may occur due to product availability and food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of preparation, origin, and freshness of ingredients.
FAQ and Tips about this how-to recipe.
- Make sure your knife is really-really sharp.
More similar how to recipes
Shop recipe products
If you liked this recipe please do share and leave a comment down below. We would love to hear how you made it even tastier!