If you wondering how to make chili paste for condiments or marinades, well you in the right place. Chili paste is a spicy, flavorful sauce that is used in many dishes.
The chili paste recipe is so easy and so fast to make. All it takes is a few fresh ingredients. This recipe is a great. It will be one of your favorite recipes!
Chili paste is a spicy, flavorful sauce that is used in many dishes. Chili paste is used as a condiment or a marinade, and can also be blended with other ingredients to make hot sauces or chili oils.
You can make chili paste by grinding dried chilies with a mortar and pestle, and then adding oil and water to thin it out. Traditionally, the paste is made with hot chilies such as serranos or jalapenos, which are then ground with garlic, onions, and other spices. Hot chili paste is higher in capsaicin, an alkaloid that is responsible for the heat of the chili, than other kinds of chili paste.
Chili paste is an essential ingredient in any Thai pantry. Thick and spicy, it adds instant flavor to soups, stir-fries, and curries, and offers a good medium for the curry paste recipes that are popular in Thai cuisine.
There are two main types of chili paste: the red curry paste that is used to flavor rich meat, seafood, and vegetable curries, and the green curry paste that is used to flavor vegetable and chicken curries. Both are made from fresh chilis, garlic, shallots, lemongrass, and other herbs and spices, and can be canned for long-term storage.
If you love spicy food, you must have a collection of your favourite chili in your bottle. Have you ever tried making chilli paste at home? If no, then I am sharing some simple steps on making chilli paste easily at home.
Table of Contents
Why love this recipe?
Luckily, all ingredients used in this recipe present at home. Further, this chilli paste boosts the flavour in your dishes. Save it for a longer time in the freezer.
What is chili paste?
Chilli paste is nothing but blended with pantry staples of salt, onion, garlic, oil, and sugar. Place it in the refrigerator or put it in the freezer. Add them in the soups, curry, meat, and sauces to boost the flavor.
Ingredients for chili paste
Here, a few ingredients are used in this recipe. Make a delicious masterpiece.
Red chillies – I used long red chilies because these are varying in heat. I love the flavour of red chillies and boost the warmth in your soups.
Sea salt – I used flakes of sea salt for my recipe. You can add flakes of sea salt according to your taste.
Sugar – Add little sugar because it will balance the flavour of the chilli paste
Onion – I used medium yellow or medium onion for my recipe. Moreover, you can use shallots.
Tomato – To give an extra flavour and sweetness, I added red tomatoes
Garlic – Add only fresh garlic cloves to this recipe. Remember, not used jarred or powder garlic.
Grapeseed oil – I added grapeseed oil. You can use neutral oil of your choice.
Food Processor or Blender
Video on how to make chili paste
Watch the quick recipe video below to see how easy it is to make this chili paste recipe.
Step by step instruction on how to make chili paste.
- Wash tomatoes and chillies before start the recipe.
- After that, remove the stem of chilli and chop it.
- Peel the garlic. Tomatoes and onion have been quartered.
- Add the chillies to the food processor or blender. Add peeled garlic, tomatoes, and onion to the blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add oil in the big pan or wok and heat oil on low flame. After that, add the paste.
- Stir well. Avoid burning and sticking the paste in the bottom.
- After thirty-five minutes, the paste will have cooked. It will change the colour too. All oil has been absorbed in the paste.
How to serve and its uses?
Further, each curry is nothing without chilli. I listed below some of favourite ways on how to enjoy the chilli paste. If you have any suggestions, you can comment on this recipe. I will appreciate it.
- Make a spicy omelette for breakfast – garnish with red chilli at the end of cooking.
- To give an extra flavour to shrimp curry, add few tbsp of chilli paste.
- Add it to the nachos – it will become your favourite snacks. Trust me!
- Make roasted sweet potatoes fries – top with red chilli paste and sour cream.
- Increase the deliciousness of the soup or pasta bowl.
- Moreover, spread on the chicken breast or salmon fillets and grill them.
- Add in the meat mixture – meatloaf or meatballs.
- Make spicy and yummy sandwiches by adding chilli paste.
- Rub on the chicken or fish and cook in the oven.
Tips and tricks:
- Select glass jars with a tight lid or metal lid. Wash in the hot soapy water and then rinse it well.
- Make sure that, there is not rubber insert in the metal lids.
Preheat the oven to 130 degrees C or 270 degrees F. Put the jar in the oven for fifteen to twenty minutes.
More similar recipes
- How to cut chili Peppers?
- How to make Garlic Paste?
- How to make Ginger-Garlic Paste?
- How to make Ginger Paste?
How long does the red chili paste last?
In the Refrigerator:
Add the chilli paste in the air-tight container. Place it in the Refrigerator. It will stay fresh for one week.
In the freezer:
Place the chilli paste ice-cube tray. When frozen, remove the red chilli paste from the ice-cube tray. Add in the freezer bag or sealed container. It will stay fresh in the freezer for three months.
What type of chili to use?
There are many types and colours of chillies—for example, Dried red chilli, green chilli, and milder red chilli.
I used long, milder red chillies for my recipe. It boosts the spiciness in the soups, curry, and sauces.
How to make chili paste from fresh chili peppers?
First, add peppers and other vegetables, for example, onion or garlic to the blender and blend until chopped or smooth.
After that, add it to the pot, add olive oil to the pot, heat on low flame and cook for twenty minutes. Stir occasionally.
Add olive oil if required. Do not burn the paste. Add seasoning and stir well. Cook for five minutes more. Let cool it and add to the blender and blend until smooth. Add in the container and place in the refrigerator.
Want to give this recipe a try?
Check out our recommendations for the necessary equipment and ingredients to make this recipe. All the products featured on Makerlandfoodie are independently selected by us, we may earn an affiliate commission from qualifying purchases through our links.