Chopping romaine lettuce is hard! It’s all one big head, so it has to be cut down to size. There is nothing worse than biting into a salad with unchopped lettuce. This article is here to show you how to cut romaine lettuce and have a perfect, evenly chopped romaine lettuce every time.
Chopping a head of romaine lettuce is one of those tasks, like peeling garlic, that seems simple enough but can still pose a challenge. But take your time, find a good knife and a solid surface (and maybe a good cutting board), and get to chopping: It’ll be worth it in the end.
What is romaine lettuce?
Romaine lettuce – (Lactuca sativa) is a deep green with elongated leaves. It is commonly used in salads, tacos, sandwiches, and burgers. When making the salad, the important thing is that – how to chop the romaine lettuce.
How to store romaine lettuce?
If you want to store lettuce without cutting it, place it in the package and place it in the fridge. It will last up to ten days.
After cutting, add it into a container inside the refrigerator. Place inside a paper towel to absorb any moisture.
How to keep lettuce fresh longer?
Follow these instructions if you want to keep lettuce fresh longer.
- First, remove all lettuce leaves and add them to the bowl.
- Add one cup of vinegar into the bowl and fill with water.
- Combine the lettuce, water, and vinegar and soak them for a few minutes
- After that, drain the vinegar-water mixture and wash in water thoroughly
- Next, transfer it to the colander and shake off excess water.
- Add the lettuce into a plastic zip-lock bag with a paper towel.
- Seal the bag and remove air from the bag. Place into the fridge.
- Romaine lettuce head
- Chef’s Knife
- Cutting Board
- Vegetable Spinner
How to Wash Romaine Lettuce?
I have two methods:
- Wash romaine lettuce before cutting
- Wash romaine lettuce after cutting
Wash romaine lettuce before cutting:
To remove roots and wilted or yellow leaves, use a sharp kitchen knife. Separate the leaves from each using your hands. Further, soak the lettuce into a medium bowl of cold water. Make sure that there is no dirt around the lettuce, and dry with a kitchen paper towel.
Wash romaine lettuce after cutting
I recommend this method.
Add sliced lettuce into the colander and wash under cold water. After that, blot with a kitchen paper towel. You can use a spinner to dry the romaine lettuce before storing it.
Video on how to Chop Romaine Lettuce
Watch the quick how-to video below to see how easy it is to chop romaine lettuce for a salad.
How to Cut Thin Ribboned Lettuce?
- In addition, if you want to cut lettuce into a thin ribbon, then place lettuce cut-side down, and cut the lettuce into thin ribbons using a sharp knife. Start from the leafy end and move toward the core. Further, if you want tiny rectangle slices, cut crossways across the ribbon pieces.
How to Cut Romaine Lettuce for a Salad?
- Wash lettuce with clean water and shake off excess water.
- Next, cut the lettuce in half lengthwise.
- Turn the romaine lettuce cut-side down and slice it in half again lengthwise.
- After that, slice the romaine lettuce from the core to tip into bite-sized pieces.
- Rinse it again with clean water.
Pick up recipes for lettuce romaine:
- Caesar salad
- Julienned Greek salad
- Cobb salad
- Asian salad lettuce bowls
- Salmon Nicoise salad
Is romaine lettuce healthy?
It is packed with vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin K. Romaine lettuce is good for vision. It makes the bone strong.
How do I pick the best romaine lettuce?
Choose fresh and green. Avoid yellowed and wilted leaves.
Do you wash the lettuce before or after?
Yes, you can do it. You can use a colander for washing sliced lettuce. You can wash lettuce without cutting it quickly under cold water.
More similar how-to guides
- How to Cut Cucumber
- How to Cut Ginger
- How to Cut Chili Peppers