Cucumber is a versatile vegetable, and it is used in many recipes. Here, I am sharing some straightforward steps on how to cut cucumber, slice, julienne, and dice cucumber.
I’m sure you’ve tried to chop up a cucumber before, but the thought of doing it better is always in the back of your mind. Whether it’s the dull knife, the slick skin or the awkward angles, there’s definitely room for improvement.
There are plenty of techniques for enjoying this summer’s favorite. Some cooks like to peel the skin off first, others trim it off after cutting. But the best way to slice a cucumber is by using a technique that I learned from the chef at my favorite sushi joint in town.
Cucumbers are a staple of salads, but they also have a number of other uses. Here are a few of the more popular methods for getting the most out of your favorite summer vegetable. Sliced Cucumber is best enjoyed on its own, but what about when you want to use it in something like a salad or a sandwich? There are a couple of popular methods for slicing cucumbers, including the cucumber ribbon-cutting technique. (shown below)
Cucumber is a creeping vine root that grows in-ground and belongs to the “Cucurbitaceae” family. Further, it is originated from South Asia and mostly used worldwide. Cucumber can be used as a garnish for dishes and drinks.
Why cucumber is good for you?
There is 95 percent water present in Cucumber. During the summer season, it helps to keep you hydrated. Moreover, Cucumber prevents cancer. It also keeps the skin good and decreases swelling, irritation, and inflammation. In addition, Cucumber keeps the bone strong. Good for the heart. Improve the memory.
Ingredients you’ll need
- English Cucumber
- Chef’s Knife
- Cutting Board
Video on How To Cut Cucumber
Watch the quick recipe video below to see how easy it is to cut cucumber in different ways.
How to slice Cucumber?
Here, I am sharing step-by-step guidance on how to cut cucumber.
- Prepare the cucumber:
Choose only darker-colored cucumber with no wrinkles or spongy spots. If you have waxed cucumbers, peel them and remove the skin. But, if you have unwaxed cucumber, rinse under cold and clean water.
- Cut off the skin:
The skin of the cucumber is a little bitter and tough. You can eat it with your skin. It did not want to eat the skin, use a vegetable peeler or sharp knife to remove the skin in shallow strips. Cut off the hard skins and remove them.
- Remove the seeds – optional
The seeds of cucumber contain a lot of water. Make your salad soggy. But, if you did not want to use seeds, remove them. Remove the seeds with a spoon.
- Square off the cucumber – optional
Squaring off your cucumber before slicing will allow you to attain reliable cuts that will cook evenly and look attractive and professional in your dish. Start with one edge of the cucumber and slice off the rounded side. It is an optional step if you want to cut the cucumber like this.
- Wash the cucumber. Place the cucumber on the clean cutting board
- Hold a sharp knife with one hand and hold the cucumber with the other hand firmly.
- Put the knife blade on the edge of the cucumber and push the knife forward and down into every cut.
- Cut the cucumber into whatever shape or size as desire. Cut into a round shape, triangle shape, and half-circle.
- Place the cucumber on the clean cutting board. Hold the knife firmly in one hand. Hold the cucumber with the other hand firmly.
- Put your knife on the cucumber lengthwise. Slice it lengthwise. Push the knife forward to down into each cut.
- Take each piece of cucumber and slice again. Moreover, julienne cut works best in salad or sushi rolls.
- After that, rotate the slice cucumber stick to 90 degrees angle.
- Cut perpendicularly to the previous cut. You will get the best cucumber cubes.
- Place whole or half of the cucumber on a spiral machine and begin spiraling.
Some great ways to use cucumber:
- Grilled hanger steak with cucumber salad
- Cucumber Gin cocktail
- Pickled cucumbers
- Lamb cucumber meatballs
- Cabbage and cucumber slaw
- Chili garlic cucumber
- Cucumber rice
- Cucumber margarita
- Cucumber raita
- Cucumber and onion salad
- Frosted cucumber cookies
- Cucumber peppermint tea
- Cucumber bread
Cucumber is used in many other delicious recipes.
More similar how-to recipes
Is cucumber cooked or eaten raw?
Eating raw cucumber is a nutritious way to keep you healthy. You can eat this with cooked in salad and many other dishes. Place over the rice without skin or with skin. You can cook cucumber too.
What to do with plenty of cucumbers?
If you have plenty of cucumbers, you can pickle them. Many people pickle a cucumber in vinegar or water brine. Pickle cucumber can be stored in the refrigerator for few weeks.
How to store cucumber in the freezer?
If you want to store cucumber for a long time, here’s how to store them.
· Rinse the cucumber with clean water and pat dry them.
· Add the whole cucumber to the air-tight container.
· Place in the freezer for up to three months.
The freezing option is not good because the cucumber’s texture changes from crispy to mushy. There are few ways you can use frozen cucumber chunks. For example, you can add in the blender and use it in the green smoothie. Another method is, you can strain them and separate the pulp from liquid to make cucumber water. This liquid has a good flavor.
How to store sliced cucumber?
If you sliced the cucumber and did not want to eat the cucumber, store them.
· Add sliced cucumber in the container and cover with a lid.
· Fill the container with water and store it in the refrigerator for up to one week.
This method really works.
How to store the whole cucumber?
It is the best way to store the whole cucumber in the fridge.
· Rinse the cucumber under clean water, and pat dry them.
· Place the cucumber in the warmest spot of your fridge for up to one week.